Adj. 1. inquisitory - diligent and thorough in inquiry or investigation; "a probing inquiry";


Monday, September 29, 2014

Maryland Science Center

The Maryland Science Center had its homeschool classes again.  I wasn't able to sign Gwyn and Celee up for the classes they wanted, but Lyla did get in to one.  So I got us all IMAX tickets for the movie that day and we all went down.  They have a ridiculous registration system that I wish they would do digitally, but it is what it is so we make due.
While Lyla was in her class, Gwyn, Celee and I explored the exhibits.  Some ha changed since we were there last, so they had fun finding new things.  Like brains.  Celee went zombie on us for a bit.  Thankfully these brains were plastic.
We have found we always enjoy the maker room.  I can't remember what it's actually called, but there is usually some kind of design challenge and supplies that the kids are left to work out on their own.  This time it was earthquake-proof architecture.  They tried to construct a building out I skewers and packing peanuts that would survive the "earthquake machine."  

Lyla's class was on things that glow in the dark.  I don't think she learned much, or at least nothing she could tell us about, but she did have fun.  She painted with the chemicals out of a glow stick, so she was excited about that.
She also insisted that we go up to the 2nd floor where there is a UV light along the wall.  Our teeth glow!
The bed of nails is always a must-do.  I keep trying to explain the physics if it to them so they understand why the nails don't hurt you but one nail would.  I don't think Lyla cares why, but if I say it enough hopefully it will sink in right?


This is the obligatory picture I always make them take.
But this time we got smoothies!  They were super yummy, and this stand is part of a program that a friend works for that provides employment opportunities to disadvantaged youth among other things.  So win win!
I actually don't know if we'll do the science center classes again.  It really is quite stressful to try to sign up for them!  And we never seem to make it into our first choices either.  I hate to not take advantage of low-cost science classes though.  I guess if they have something we're really interested in, we might try it again nest year.  It is a "free" trip to the science center at least. 

No comments:

Post a Comment