Adj. 1. inquisitory - diligent and thorough in inquiry or investigation; "a probing inquiry";


Saturday, June 13, 2015

SuGO Robots and a Doomed Campout

Our friends on the Cubix3 Robotics Team hosted a SuGO Robotics workshop again that the girls participated in.  They work with partners to design, modify and then battle with SuGO robots.  While my girls aren't super into robotics, they do enjoy these workshops.  And I'm glad they're getting the experience and fun!

Gwyn, Celee, and Lyla all signed up for the Aberdeen Ironbirds GS Campout.  I took them, but did'n't stay the night because I had to be at church at 7:45 the next morning.
This turned out to be a huge "I told you so"  for me.  When we were all pitching the tents, it was really hot, but I put the rain flap on our tent anyway because I had checked the weather and there was a medium chance of thunderstorms for the middle of the coming night.  Everyone else was sure that it wouldn't rain though, and it was so hot they all left theirs off to let more air flow in.  Well that sets up the scene right?
The girls always enjoy this campout.  It's like a huge party where the kids can just go and do without the adults having to be right with them.  There are bounce houses, and snacks, and crafts, and music, and dancing, and games.  They also have a movie after dark on the Jumbo Tron.




So they did have fun and I left when the movie started.  Soon after is when the wheels came off.  All the next info I got second-hand.  Apparently some of the girls were getting in trouble for running around after everyone was supposed to be in their tents.  And soon after everyone was actually in their tents, the bottom fell out.  It was a major drencher!  And no one had their rain flaps on except in our tent.  There were so many girls packed in our tent though that their stuff was pressed up against the sides so that all started getting wet anyway.  Other people's tents filled with standing water in the bottoms.  The eventually evacuated the field.  Kids were crying and moms were trying to get all the stuff off the field and into the stands.  I don't know how many of the kids actually helped with all of this.  Tired, woken-up, and grumpy adults in a stressful situation probably didn't make it a lot easier.  Anyway, they left at 5am.  (It was supposed to last until 9)  No one slept and everyone's stuff was wet and they were all miserable.  I don't know what the field looked like.  Jason had to go get them from Bridget's house while I went to church.  I was a little scared to ask too many questions when the girls got home.  Best just to let everyone sleep and ask for details when everyone was calm and distanced from the event.  I'm glad I have the smiling pictures pre-rain.  There was fun at the campout.  I have proof.  That is not the predominant memory they took away from it though.  I hope that time will add some humor to the memory.  As it stands now - I don't know if they'll have the campout next year.  And I don't know if the girls would want to go again.  Maybe we'll try for the Frederick Keys....

No comments:

Post a Comment