Adj. 1. inquisitory - diligent and thorough in inquiry or investigation; "a probing inquiry";


Tuesday, February 4, 2014

Ukelele music to five-strand braids

Celee and I got the cool opportunity to see Victoria Vox one of the libraries near our house.  Vox was a professionaly guitarist who transitioned over to ukelele and now tours with her cellist all over North America. I had heard her play on a local radio station and so we went to the library to her a whole set.  I'm so glad we did!  She sings, plays, sings some songs in French, plays "trumpet" with her mouth, and so much more.  Celee insisted we check out one of her cd's and we've been listening to it in the car enough that the girls may actually know a song in French now, even though they have no idea what they're saying.




Since Gwyn has been cooking up a storm, Lyla wanted to get into the action.  She checked out a cookbook of her own from the library and make "Play dough people."  I must say they were pretty yummy.  They were fun to make too.



The girls worked hard to learn about Ireland for our International Celebration with our homeschool group.  Each family picked a country and prepared a display, presentation, and food from their country.  We had picked Ireland, but didn't want to do all the St.Patrick, Blarney Stone, etc that usually is done with Ireland.  The girls had previously seen the movie The Secret of Kells, so we went with that.  Gwyn studied up on the actual Book of Kells.  Celee learned about insular Celtic Art and we learned to tie Celtic knots.  Lyla learned about the names of Ireland, the languages, and the flag.  We also made Rumpledethumps for our food.  I found out that almost all the "Irish" recipes were mashed potatoes with something else in them - so Rumpledethumps is mashed potatoes with leeks and cheese.  It was yummy!  The girls did well on their presentation.  It's funny how nervous they get, but even Lyla spoke her part well.  The girls were excited because our display was very popular and Celee got to teach some other kids how to tie the knots.  I think the popularity may have been partly because we had The Secret of Kells  playing on our table, but the girls took it as a compliment that their dispaly was interesting to the other kids.

I think I'm getting itchy to do something.  I can't start the garden yet (It snowed again yesterday).  And on one day my plan was to hang a shelf.  I wasn't able to do that, so I knocked a hole in the wall instead.  This particular project probably shouldn't have been started yet, but sometimes I just need to start something.  (When I really should be finishing the already started projects elsewhere)  Eventually this hole will be built-in shelves in Gwyn and Celee's room.  Eventually.  :)




Jason got a new game.  This one has lots of dice instead of cards.  It was fairly fun though.  I won once so that is a plus for me.  Celee got into it to and won a game herself.  We all love to play games, but it is nice to play a game once in a while that one of us girls can win.















Like I said, it snowed again, so I guess I'm getting a little stir-crazy.  So I've been trying out some new braids on the girls hair.  By Spring maybe I'll have some down where I can braid them in a manageable amount of time.
We are having a good time with the snow.  We are keeping busy even though the impulse is to snuggle down and sleep, read, or watch a movie.  But my mind is on Spring-things.  Even Celee the other day prayed thanks for the fun snow, but could God send Spring soon.  I'm thinking on what to plant where.  How to build such-and-such.   What to dig up and what to leave.  What to cut down.  I'm making plans!  Hopefully by the time it is actually Spring, I will have tweaked my plans to work out the best way possible.  

No comments:

Post a Comment