Adj. 1. inquisitory - diligent and thorough in inquiry or investigation; "a probing inquiry";


Tuesday, January 28, 2014

A revelation brought on by Sam and Dean

I woke tonight with these thoughts:
It is sobering and yet hopeful that the Creator of the universe is also my Friend.  
Sobering because I am reminded of our corporate and my individual sins that separate me from my Creator.  He is good and just.  The Bible says that my righteousness is but filthy rags before The Lord.  Every good thing, every sacrificial thing, every just thing that I have done is tarnished by my sin whether by commission or omission. Even when I try my best, I will still make mistakes.  I will be greedy.  I will fail to help someone. I will be dishonest at times.  I will hold on to things that should be let go of, physically and emotionally.  And even though I will sin, when the Lord looks at me He sees me clothed in white. My sins are gone.  He sees me through the covering of Jesus.  There in lies the hope.  I am not doomed to eternal shame that I can't live up.  Just like I love my children and forgive them when they mess up, He loves me anyway and forgives me.
The same awe-inspiring Elohim who created an expanding infinite universe, who tailored a sloths claws for it to hang upside down, who designed the spinal chord,  who made the incredibly complex interwoven system that is our world, also knows how many hairs are in my head.  He is so big!  And yet He cares about us all, individually.  He is The Almighty and yet He is my Friend and Comforter.  
I think I know what prompted these thoughts.   We have been watching the show Supernatural.  We started from the beginning and are about halfway through the series.  As the plot developed more into a story involving demons and angels, I began to have a real problem with the theology that was being implied.  But I kept reminding myself that this is fiction, not theology, and like any science fiction/fantasy story, it doesn't have to be anywhere near the realm of "true" to be a good story.  I do worry that people of little or no faith will identify with the misconceptions and warped views of God, Christians, and "righteousness" presented in many fictional works.  But that is for another night.  Back to this night.  In the latest episode of Supernatural we watched, The Lord finally showed up.  They didn't say His name, but that was the implication.  Jason says that I'm just setting myself up to be disappointed later when the show explains itself in some other way, but for tonight I rejoiced.  God can use even a fantasy tv series!  He can be glorified even by those who do not praise Him! He used unbelievers in the Bible to do His will and speak his words at times and  I think He still uses them today.  
So I am reminded not to dismiss a revelation, message, or rebuke just because it comes from someone I don't think shares my belief.  God is in control.  He's not micromanaging us, even though I believe he can when it suits him. But He is Lord I of All.  Not just over "churchy stuff."  Not just Christians.  He is Lord period.  Alpha and Omega.  And He cares for us as our Father.  A Good Father.  One who guides and comforts and forgives yes, but also rejoices, laughs and has fun with us.  
He is a "beautiful outlaw." Just when you think you know who He is and what He will do, He surprises us.  He continually busts out of whatever box we think we've got Him contained in.  And I am thankful for that.  Thank you Jesus that you are infinitely more creative and good than I could ever imagine You to be!

No comments:

Post a Comment