Adj. 1. inquisitory - diligent and thorough in inquiry or investigation; "a probing inquiry";


Thursday, February 6, 2014

Keep on singing

Today I was telling stories to our History Club kids about a few women who helped in their own ways during the Revolutionary War.  They were not allowed to "enlist" per se, but a handful did see combat.  One disguised herself as a man for a while.  One took her husbands place at the artillery when her husband fell dead at his post.  But I was trying to tell them also about the everyday people who helped in whatever way they could with what they had.  So I told them the story of Mary Lindley Murray.  Her husband was a staunch Loyalist, but she and her daughters were Patriots.  When the Continental Army was retreating from New York with Howe's British army close behind them, Mary Murray got the chance to do her part.  Her husband being a known Loyalist, she sent an invitation to General Howe and his officers to take respite at their home which they gladly accepted.  She entertained the General for over two hours - hours she hoped would put distance between the British and the Continental army, who were in retreat.  The army that held most of the Americans' artillery and stores was moving more slowly than the rest and was only a mile or so ahead of the British at one point!  When the General insisted on it being time to leave, Mary Murray then called in her servant to sing a song fresh from London - complete in all seven stanzas!  The ever-so-polite British were not going to leave until the lady stopped singing.  And so Mary Murray gave the Continentals the precious time they needed to get away from their pursuers.
     When I was telling this particular story (even though I botched some of the details in the telling) to the kids I actually started to tear up.  I couldn't figure out exactly why, but on thinking later I have an idea.  We all may more may not be able to "take up arms" for causes that we surpport, injustices we want to see righted, or to help peoples we know are in need.  But we do have opportunities in our present condition and surrounding where we may get the chance to do something meaningful in our own way.  Mary Lindley Murray didn't have a gun to fight the British.  She did have her house, family, and resources at her disposal that ended up being a great help.  It is often thought that if General Howe had pursued the Continental Army with more vigor, that would have been the end of the Revolution and we'd all still be English subjects.  But one lady with her gift for entertaining and the singing of her maid, helped the Americans at their most needed hour.
     And so I think we need to keep singing.  When the problems in this world seem so huge and we think "what can I do to change anything?,"  we can keep on singing.  I can't swoop in and end violence in Sudan, but I can keep on using what I have right now, to do what I can right now.  I can also be willing to do more when the time arises.  Mary Lindley Murray took her opportunity and with some fine wine, polite conversation, and London song helped save her country's army.  That gives me hope that I can keep on singing when they time comes too.

No comments:

Post a Comment