Adj. 1. inquisitory - diligent and thorough in inquiry or investigation; "a probing inquiry";


Wednesday, July 23, 2014

Harper's Ferry

     My parents got to come visit for a week in June.  I love to have family here!  We decided to take them to Harper's Ferry.  My girls so love it there!  They are of course River Rats, so this charming town nestled in the crook of two rivers intersecting is pretty cool.  And it's full of super cool history, so I'm enamored with it too.  We still haven't tubed or rafted there yet, but that's for a different trip.
     The girls could probably just play in the river all day.  The water on the Shenandoah side is so beautiful!  And this time they were finding lots of really neat shells.  The Potomac side is pretty too, but very rocky.  We picnicked and played in the water for a long time, then headed into the town.



I must say that after I snapped the picture of the three girls in front of the railroad tunnel, Lyla preceded to try to slide down the railing on the other side.  This actually made my heart jump and my stomach flip.  Gwyn and I both screamed and tried to grab at her.  I thought she was a gonner!  You can't tell from the picture, but it is quite a drop down onto rocks on the other side of the stairs.  Lyla is good at scaring us this way. Thankfully, no one was harmed that day.
We made the trek up the hill to Jefferson's rock.  It's neat to think we were standing where Thomas Jefferson stood looking out over the valley and said, "This scene is worth a voyage across the Atlantic."  The rock has worn away and is now held up by steel beams, but it's still cool to think Jefferson stood there.
I like how the window left in the ruins of the old church frame where the two rivers meet.  It's just kinda neat.  And we did get to go inside the Catholic Church on the hill too.

Our reward for climbing the hill was ice cream.  There are several ice cream shops in Harper's Ferry, but we always go to the basement one.  I can't think of the name of it, but they have great flavors!

No comments:

Post a Comment