Adj. 1. inquisitory - diligent and thorough in inquiry or investigation; "a probing inquiry";


Thursday, November 19, 2015

A Piano Lesson

I was horrified to find one day that my damper pedal was not working properly on my piano.  What in the world could have happened to break that?!  I had this sick feeling that someone had stomped on it and broken something inside, but whatever it was it wasn't dampening the strings correctly.  So it was really distracting to try to practice.  (I guess I rely pretty heavily on the pedal to cover my sloppiness)  When I finally had a free moment I decided to investigate the problem.  This turned into a really neat lesson about how the piano works in general.  I did find the problem after talking all the front panels off the piano.  A tiny screw had come loose and so the petal didn't have enough leverage to push the bar and the dampers down.  Easy fix!  Yes!  I didn't have to call the piano man!  And Celee and Lyla had a fun time watching the keys and dampers and experimenting with what moved what inside the piano when I was done.  It's so cool to get to see the light bulbs going off in regards to the properties of sound and mechanics involved in a complex musical instrument.  :)



No comments:

Post a Comment