Adj. 1. inquisitory - diligent and thorough in inquiry or investigation; "a probing inquiry";


Monday, July 15, 2013

Clubs (not the Ke$ha kind)

The word of the week was "club."  We started Art Club and Cat Club and I've been working on the upcoming History Club.  I think I may rename our re-occurring events "clubs" just for fun.
Our wonderful friend Marta decided to have Art Club at her house all summer.  So the girls got to go over to their very fun house and paint, draw, and play.  My girls love Marta's yard because it is filled with super fun play things like rope swings, a tree house, a parallel bar structure, and a zip line.  Needless to say, any reason to go to their house is OK with all three girls.  The art club is fun in itself too!  It's always fun to make things and be creative with friends.




    Cat Club officially started this week.  Gwyn and her friend have been planning Cat Club for around four months and it finally happened. (Celee ended up helping out too, Lyla went and had Dolphin Club with her friend instead)  The girls  passed out fliers to their friends, chose a place, day and time, made out a schedule and supply list.  They were totally prepared!  I am very proud of them!  It takes a little something extra to follow through on an idea sometimes and they did.  At the meeting they had a discussion about what all the girls would like for Cat Club to do at meetings.  They played cat games.  They had cat-themed crafts and a cat-themed snack.  Everyone had a good time.  I certainly didn't want to discourage them in any way because I think this helps form leadership skills and builds their confidence and it is fun!  They have something to be proud of because people actually came and are planning on coming again.  They planned out the next "meeting" and distributed fliers for a special outing they've planned for August.  Go Cat Club!







We met some of our small group friends (now to be referred to as Small Group Club) at a local winery called Boordy.  They have live music, vendors, and food every Thursday.  Everyone brings chairs or picnic blankets and dinner and just hangs out for the evening.  There is a grassy hill in the back of the sitting area where the kids all congregated and played the whole time.  Hence the red faces as it was hot that evening, but thankfully a little overcast.  My girls enjoyed some honey sticks and we had our first treat from the Prigel Family Creamery.  So Yummy!  They offer school tours of their creamery and I do think we'll have to join in on one of those this year.  



The girls are still enjoying their job (henceforth, Farm Club).  I kind of expected the novelty to wear off, especially as the heat rose.  But they are still gung-ho to feed the animals, clean the bowls, and shovel the poop.  They are definitely earning their few dollars each week.   We have learned a few things too.  Everything is easier if you feed the sheep and goats first.  Guinea hens are loud.  Alpacas are cuter than llamas, but the llama at the petting zoo is funny and I like him.  Geese are messy and like to bite.  A lovey calf is not always a good thing for little people.  Goats are funny - I like them too.


     I don't know if it's all this taking care of farm animals or reading Walden or a weird season or a combo of all of the above, but I've been having a really hard time lately disassociating meat with the animal.  I haven't eaten beef in three weeks, chicken in two.  I made myself cook a turkey burger last week because I had the meat in the freezer and didn't want it to go to waste.  (If it had to die, I better at least not waste what came of it)  I kept thinking about the turkey at the farm though and how pretty and sweet he is, and the neat noises he makes that I didn't know turkeys made.  I don't think everyone should stop eating meat - I'm just having a tough time with it myself lately.  I have been cooking fish off and on.  I got crab cakes and lobster tail for a nice price this weekend so I did make those tasty dishes. Other than that, I've been making quite a few vegetarian meals.  I haven't run out of recipes yet that the girls don't hate, so I guess I can keep this up a little longer.  Jason gets to eat out for lunch a good bit so he gets a reprieve.  So I don't know if this is exactly a problem, just an oddity that's occurred in the Montgomery family.  There's always something.

No comments:

Post a Comment